💤 How to sleep train your Cat
1. Check up on your Cat’s health 🩺
Yowling at night can be a cat's way of expressing pain or discomfort.
So check with your vet especially if:
* Your Cat is an older cat (overall health might be decreasing)
* Your Cat has a known medical issue (that could be worsening)
* It has been a long time since your cat's last check up
* This is a new behaviour that has just come on
2. Is your Cat trying to tell you something ? 📣
Check if you have attended all your Cat’s needs
* Is their litter tray clean?
* Is their water bowl full of fresh water?
* Is there a cat or something spooky outside that is upsetting them?
* Is there something coming through the cat flap?
3. Let’s start the training 📚
If you've been through steps 1, step 2 & nothing has changed the chances are that your Cat, is waking you for two reasons: attention & food.
Thankfully, this is fixable, you can break your Cat's association between waking you & getting those two things.
In the wild cats follow a certain cycle:
So, If you can recreate this at home, chances are your Kitty will be more cooperative to sleep at your own time.
1. HUNT: lets’ tire your Kitty out with some energetic hunting-based play (like chasing a toy) &/or walks.
2. EAT: last meal of the day, about 1 hour before bed
3. GROOM: Chill out with your kitty, give them attention & affection
4. SLEEP: If the first three steps have gone well, your Cat should then snooze off on their own
4. Morning routine & wake up calls ☎️
Your Cat wants Food & Attention, to break this wake up call the best thing is to … Play dead.
Now, the hardest thing is to not give up, especially since at first your Cat will intensify the cries for attention & if you give up Kitty will think the new techniques works.
So keep at it & your Cat will give up.
5. You are the Boss 👑
To reinforce all the previous steps, show that you are the Boss, don’t instead to fed yourself, read the newspaper, have a shower before feeding your Cat & attend to their needs.
Wishing you good nights 😊
#catlovers #catexplorercommunity #supakit #petfriendlyaustralia #catoftheworld #cattraining