🍝Tomato baked gnocchi 🍝
Not the easiest but very rewarding with perfect little fluff balls at the end!! This is a combo of Jamie Oliver’s gnocchi recipes and my go to tomato sauce recipe which is so versatile (@bbcgoodfood )
For the tomato sauce:
🥫2 tins of chopped tomatoes
🧅1 onion, finely chopped
🧄2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
🍅3 tbsp tomato purée
🍃1 bay leaf
🌱1 tbsp dried oregano
🍚2 tsp brown sugar
🍀Bunch of basil, finely chopped
1. Heat a good glug of olive oil in a low heat. Add the onions and fry for 12-15 mins.
2. Add the garlic and fry for a few more minutes.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, purée, bay leaf, oregano, brown sugar and some seasoning.
4. Simmer uncovered for 30-35 mins.
5. Depending on what you are going to use this for you may want to blend the sauce (good for pizza bases) or keep it chunky. For the gnocchi I blended it a little so had a bit of a hybrid!
6. After blending (if you are), add the basil and season to taste.
Now for the gnocchi.. (serves 4-6)
🥔1kg potatoes (Maris piper or king Edward)
🍚100g 00 flour (plus plenty more for dusting/kneading)
1. Choose potatoes all roughly the same size
2. Boil (with skin on) until they are cooked through and soft
3. Leave to cool. Once cool enough to touch, remove the skins
4. Place through a ricer. Mix with the 100g of flour. Add salt and pepper too. Then mix together with your hands. You may need more flour to stop it being too sticky.
5. Dust the side and then take the dough out the bowl and knead. I used quite a lot of flour at this point to stop the sticking and get a really nice dough.
6. Divide into 4 pieces. Then take each piece and roll into a long sausage shape.
7. Cut the sausage shape into little pillow, these are your gnocchi!
8. You are then meant to roll each piece down a fork or a butter board if you have one. This helps the sauce sticks, but I’ll be honest I skipped this part!
9. Add to boiling water, when it floats it’s cooked!
To make the tomato baked gnocchi:
1. Mix some of the sauce with the gnocchi and add to an ovenproof dish.
2. Pour a little more sauce on. Sprinkle on the cheese and place under a high grill.
3. Remove and serve in