So Cream went to the vet today for a quick check up for his conditions. Just to remind everyone what he had:
1) Cataract in ONE eye (I thought it was congenital in both, but it’s only one and not based on genetics), and some kind of infection in the left eye that is swollen
2) Respiratory Infection
For the respiratory infection, the vet was happy to see how well he has been responding to treatment! He will be continuing with Baytril and nebulization for another 10 days to be sure his infection is completely gone. He’s been such a good boy when he goes into his nebulizing chamber, and he’ll just sit there for the 15 minute session.
For his eye, it actually got worse. The vet is referring me to a ophthalmologist in the Houston area since they have specialized equipment, and even talked to him about Cream earlier this week. I was going to have my vet do blood for work Crean, but since he hasn’t shown any signs of getting worse I decided to put all the funds into his eye exam. My vet said they MIGHT be able to salvage his left eye, but it really depends. Worse case scenario is that he has to remove his eye, but he does absolutely fine as a blind hamster and is a happy boy overall. I wasn’t sure if blind hamsters can use a wheel, but I see him doing laps on his in the morning when I wake up. Please keep him in your thoughts for a healthy recovery!