Chicken Machboos - الدجاج كبسة
Also known as Fogga or Kabsa, this chicken & rice dish is a very famous in a lot of Arabic & Middle Eastern countries. Our version is based on the UAE version but there are a gazillion versions as it varies within every household. The ingredients that give this disg its unique flavour are dried black lime aka Loomi, which gives it a musty, citrusy flavour & a distinctive spice mixture called Bezar. You can make your own Bezar spice mixture if you cannot find it, just PM us for it. 😉🙏🏼
These ingredients are for a banquet so adapt as necessary.
• 1 1/2 - 2kg (3lb/4lb) chicken pieces (preferably thighs or drumsticks), skin removed
• 3-4 tbsp bezar spice mixture
• About 2 litres (8 cups) chicken stock
• 3 tomatoes, deseeded & chopped
• 8 cloves garlic
• 4 whole dried black limes (loomi)
• 1 large stick cinnamon
• 10 green cardamom pods
• 1kg Basmati rice
• Ghee or butter, for frying
• Salt to taste
To serve • 3 onions, sliced
• 2-3 tbsp whole blanched almonds
• Extra virgin olive oil
• Dates & raisins
1. Rub the chicken pieces with salt and bezar.
2. Gently fry in 2 tbsp of ghee or butter until brown on both sides.
3. Transfer the browned chicken pieces to a large deep pot, add the stock, garlic cloves, limes, cinnamon, cardamoms & tomatoes. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
4. Lower the heat, taste for saltiness and add the rice & bring to a gentle boil again (don't stir). Now, cover pot with a damp cloth and a heavy lid. Leave to steam on low heat, unopened for 20 minutes, turn off the heat and stand uncovered for about 15 minutes before serving.
5. In the meantime, fry the onions in 1 tbsp ghee or butter until golden brown and soft. Remove the onions and set aside add in the same pan add the almonds and stir fry until they are slightly brown.
6. Transfer the chicken and rice onto a large platter. Sprinkle the fried onions, almonds, raisins and dates on top and serve.
#Ramandalicious #arabicfood #MiddleEasternfood #Halal #UAE #emiraticuisine #worldfood #food #foodie #igfood #foodoftheworld #chicken #Machboos #Kabsa #الدجاج كبسة #instafood #foodgram #comfortfood #foodheaven