SAVOURY MATCHA AND BEETROOT PANCAKES (makes approx. 10 pancakes) by @girlwiththematcha
I’m not sure why, but one night before falling sleep, my last thought was:
‘What about savoury matcha pancakes?’
Well, it be that way sometimes.
The next morning I was rushing around because of work and didn’t have time for breakfast, so I decided to experiment with savoury matcha pancakes for brunch. I also had some beetroot I wanted to use and had then had the idea of layering beetroot pancakes with matcha ones. I love it when it works out like this. I added a soft, runny egg, some rocket salad and I knew: perfect brunch!
Matcha without sugar is perfectly savoury; it’s earthiness is such a lovely addition to thick, runny egg yolk. The pretty pink pancakes had little pieces of beetroot running through them, adding a different texture to the whole dish. All in all, I was a happy bunny.
On to the recipe!
You will need:
- 1 small beetroot, chopping into small pieces
- 1 tbsp culinary matcha
- 200g self-raising flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 and half tsp baking powder
- 200ml milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 25g melted butter (a bit extra for cooking)
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the mix and add melted butter, milk and eggs.
- Stir together with a hand/electric whisk until smooth.
- Divide this mix by putting half in another bowl.
- In one of the bowls, using a tea strainer, sieve the matcha into the mixture. Combine well.
- In the other bowl, add beetroot and combine. Keep stirring, as it takes a while for the full pink colour to come out.
- Put a pan on low-medium heat and add enough butter to grease pan.
- Using a ladle (or a jug, if you prefer), pour some of the mixture with the matcha into the pan.
- When you see small holes appearing on top of the pancake, flip over.
- Repeat until you run out of mix, and repeat with the beetroot pancake mix.
- You are ready to eat! Yay!
#matcha_girl #pancakes #matcha #beetroot #savory #subtleasianbakes #matchalover #pancakes🥞 #pancakestack